Friday, November 16, 2007

Body Wash Smackdown: Dove Cream Oil Ultra Rich vs. Olay Ultra Moisture

VS.



Dove Cream Oil Body Wash - Ultra Rich formula

Texture: 4 out of 5 - Creamy but not oily
Scent: 2.5 out of 5 - Rosewood and cocoa butter (soft and a mix between floral, wood and powder - I prefer fruity over floral)
Price: $7.59 for 19.4 oz ($0.39 per oz)
Verdict: LOSER

I just finished using Dove Cream Oil Body Wash Ultra Rich for the first time. I really liked the consistency of the wash. It is creamy and did not dry out my skin. It actually reminded me of those in-shower lotions to be used after your body wash (though I imagine Dove added some type of detergent to their formula). Though there were three moisture drops on the packaging, I didn't feel like my skin was super moisturized. My skin was not dry, but I definitely needed some lotion on after I dried off. What I liked the least was the fragrance. Just not my cup of tea and actually if the scent was better I probably would have used it again.

Does it live up to its claim? The back of the container says, "intensely moisturizing, but sensationally lathering...Rich in oil, but not oily." I would not say it is "intensely moisturizing" or "sensationally lathering." I saw some lather, though I'm not sure how "sensational" it was. I do agree with it not being oily though.

Would I buy it again? No. The scent did it for me. I just didn't like the smell or after smell of it. Didn't smell fresh.

Olay Body Ultra Moisture Body Wash with Shea Butter

Texture: 4 out of 5 - Creamy and lathery without being oily
Scent: 4.5 out of 5 - Soft, sweet, pleasant
Price: $7.99 for 23.6 oz ($0.34 per oz)
Verdict: WINNER

This product is actually "old faithful" for me. As much as I try to find something I like better, I just keep coming back. What I like about it is that it lathers enough to remind you it is indeed a body wash but leaves the skin soft too. I break out easily and it is gentle enough to be moisturizing without irritating my skin. I really like the pleasant scent and it is also a great value.

Does it live up to its claim? The back of the container says "soap-free formula for gently cleansing," "moisturizers enhanced with shea butter penetrate deep within the surface to condition the driest skin for up to 24 hours," and "keeps in moisture and has a clean rinse." I agree with gentle cleansing, clean rinse and that the moisturizers condition the skin. As far as the " to condition the driest skin for up to 24 hours," I think that 24 hours is far fetched though the "up to 24 hours" may be more like 2 hours.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

Which would you choose?

1 comment:

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.